In-class work: 25%
- In-class work/reading responses
- Showing up with software installed
Applied Computing Assignments: 35%
These are weighted relative to each other. Weights are listed on assignments, but will be roughly the following:
- Mental Mapping – 2 unit
- Shoreline tracing in GIS – 1 unit
- 3d-printed shoremap – 1 unit
- Investigating Archival data – 3 units
- Not reading a Bostonian biography – 2 units
- Election PCA/predictions – 1 units
- Spurious data correlation – 1 units
- Twitter: Markov Bots – 1 unit
Final Project Ideas Posts (2, one by October 5): 5%
This might be something like the following:
- A description of an interesting data source and some work that could be done with it;
- A extension of your archival data project with a digitization proposal to a realistic scope.
- A set of questions about an issue and an initial attempt to catalog some of the already-existing data about it.
- An extensive refinement of someone else’s post or question–research into available data, reflections on how a new method we’ve just learned might be applied to someone else’s questions for earlier, etc.
Blue Sky Proposal/Final Project Contract: 10%
Final Project: 25%